June 29, 2013




This weekend was a rare, all three of us go camping weekend, so we chose the cooler weather of the mountains and a ride on the Virginia Creeper,  a hike near Mt. Rogers and maybe a swim. We camped at a near deserted Beartree Campground in the Jefferson National Forest and got a lazy start to the day.  I wanted a workout so I chose to ride up the 17 mile section to Whitetop Mountain and would meet Deb and Sam after they got a shuttle ride. 1:50 later I arrived and soon we were on the way down. The cool thing about the Virginia Creeper is it is all down hill (unless you go up) and since I knew some spots I wanted pictures from I left the two ladies and went a head for a cool bridge crossing. When they didn't show up, I knew something was up. Deb was passing Sam and somehow Deb managed to grab too much front brake and endo-ed landing on her helmet. By the time I got back, she was riding, but not happy. We rode the final 11 miles down, and since she had all the classic concussion signs, we headed to the ER... it was confirmed and we were sent off with medical for pain and instructions. Everyone knows the saying "Happy wife, happy life" ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't imagine riding 11 more miles in that condition! If there is ever a next time, use the Taco off-road!