Sept. 18, 2010






What a day.
After doing my chores, I headed for Buffalo (a little south of it) for my first cyclocross race of the season. I finished in the top 20 (ok only 20 started my class) but I was about 15th (give or take a spot, I didn't see results)

I decided to take the long way home and search for some remote waterfalls. The first was the Cascades of Attica, a 2006 web entry said it was on private property, but the owner lets you view it. There was an added note about ropes to get to the bottom of the falls. Well there were no ropes and as I started down the gorge, the sides were all rotting leaves and loose soil. I started sliding (butt, back and slide) and didn't stop till I was 40 feet down. Well I might as well slide to the bottom and take the picture. Well this was one of those times I was a little worried about my choices.
I wore running shoes not hiking boots. FAIL
I didn't tell anyone where I was going. FAIL
I didn't bring a communications device (whistle or cell phone) FAIL
My backpack only contained camera gear. FAIL
Coming up was tough. No traction, and my legs were sore and tired from the race. I finally found a rotting fallen tree and used the knots were the limbs were to pull myself up.

Next I headed toward Warsaw Falls, which you park in a town park for the trail head. This also is listed as a "wild" waterfall and there is no trail to the falls, just a mile or so up the creek bed. Well I started up and and wasn't happy with my footwear (see above) and it was getting dark in the woods... the sun would set in an hour or so...
I didn't pack a light. FAIL
So I tried around and headed home.
Great day!

No comments: