Nov. 13, 2010



9. This was my 9th weekend in-a-row racing cyclocross and I finished 9th. The race was at Kissing Bridge Ski Area, on the warm-up lap I thought I was in trouble. I didn't feel like racing, my back hurts, and I don't like this course. The course was a long fast straight to start, a couple of muddy dips and steep short bumps, then up the mountain (part of it) and across it (through more mud) then fast descent and zig-zag about 10 times. Repeat 6 or so laps. Bang off we go...
I had a couple of thoughts while racing today. About two months ago, my legs were numb and cramping during races, today I felt good, despite the stupid mtn. I am not a great bike handler, but damn I am better than the guys around me, I picked up so many spots today on the technical parts. And finally I love the catch... I spent 3 laps or so reeling in 9th place, once I got to his wheel, I had to think when to make my move. Go too early and I am the rabbit, too late and he grows confident he can beat me. In the end he made the choice for me, he was slow through a corner leading to the bell lap, I took him there, and hammered the straight to gap him. In fact I hammered so hard through the whole lap, I almost caught 8th. I would have caught him in another 3 turns. Great day and course!

No comments: