Oct 3, 2010





The race was at Brewery Ommegang, a Belgium beer microbrewery, I choose this race because it was a big field, part of the NYS series and at it was held at a brewery. Brewery = beer.

I was a little psyched out at the start since all but a couple of the 40 or so racers in my field, race for a shop, so I positioned myself in back and bang we started. After a 200 yard uphill, U turn and heading down, I was up to the middle of the pack. From here the course was tight and we bottled necked pretty bad as wheels overlapped and folks fell on the wet grass. As I broke free from the masses, I started passing folks and found a good rhythm. Deb yelled I was top 25 or 15th with 2 laps to go, so I started to try to pick it up... bam I go down hard on a turn, twisted the handlebars 15 degrees, but I rode the rest like that. On the last lap, 3 racers were gaining on me, closing to within a bike length up the last hill, so I hammered the fast and bumpy downhill and gapped them to finish 11th. A great day for me!

3 comments:

e said...

Yay Jay!

- Todd said...

One of my favorite breweries too... Wish I had the time, I would have come up to watch the race...

Shawn said...

Love Cooperstown and that brewery.
Great job Sam!! She'll be working at the paper any day now!